Saturday, July 14, 2012

The NEW New Yorker

Damn.

Sorry I haven't written in the last few days but its has been bananas! I landed in Newark, hopped in a cab and went straight to a bar to meet my friends! So I have been hopping around while I've been trying to find a place in Staten Island, luckily I'm friends with some REAL NY cats who have been giving me the low down on the city. And to all you peeps who think that New Yorkers are assholes, I will say this for the record, they are not. I have met the most kind people here in New York, much better experience than when I had moved to SA.  The people are cool here, and yes, some others are annoying or stupid, but you get that everywhere.

Here's a breakdown of what went on the last couple of days:

       Day One: 

Arrived and headed to Woody's McHale's bar, where they were nice enough to hold all my luggage while I drank. I then went over to my friend's Mo diggs, which was down the block from Time Square. We walked over to the square around 3 or 4 in the morning, and all I can say was it was awesome. No people, totally deserted and empty- it was beautiful.

Day Two: 

I roamed the city, while Mo had to get his last rehearsal before heading out on tour for Deadbeat Darlings. I walked the entire Lower East Side. It was a gorgeous day outside, perfect weather and just the right amount of sun. I then meet up with Destiny in Brooklyn for a Vice Magazine party- Do and Don't party. Then we all bounced over to Lit in the city and partied the rest of the night away.

Day Three: 

I picked up my things from Mo's said good bye since he was leaving on tour, but would see him on Monday for his birthday. Took a cab over to Destiny's and meet her family. We then just hung out for the day, took her cute little dog prissy for a walk over to the bank, and then chilled for a bit before heading out. We picked up some rum (by the way: Capt. Morgan Black Spiced Rum is like 47% Alc and about 100%), some coke and pre-partied before heading over to the Large Professor Show at the Bowery Poetry Club. Then got a slice of pizza and called it a night.

Day Four: 

Which was BY FAR the BEST DAY IN NYC!! I took the train and ferry to Staten Island to check out where I would be working and probably living. The grounds of Snug Harbor, which was an old retirement community for sailors, are now converted to Museums and Cultural Centers. Snug Harbor also is home to one of the oldest music halls/theatres in the East coast, second to Carnegie Hall.  This is where the current location for the Council for Arts and Humanities for Staten Island (aka Staten Island Arts) is residing. I walked by a beautiful gazebo and botanical garden with a large green pond on the opposite side.  The entire area is very serene and peaceful. I then took the ferry back to the city, and the F train out to Brooklyn- Prospect Park to catch Calle 13 live and for FREE! It was an awesome show, it was my first concert in months- the last being in SF with Sleigh Bells. I loved it, got to just meet people and hang out by myself. I then hooked up with Destiny afterwards and we kicked it with her friends- which also happen to be Nicaraguan! Ended it by passing out and feeling sore. 

Day Five: 

Woke up feeling good and rested, a bit sore from all the dancing I had done the night before. Took a nice stroll through the Lower East side and grabbed a couple of bagels... headed to Tompkins Park and chilled for a bit while we ate. The rest of the Saturday is now up to me... may head back over to Brooklyn to watch Saturday Night Fever and a Bee Gees cover band. But the day is still nice and hot, and may call for a long nice stroll with Prissy by the pier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment